HOF Spotlight: Nolan Ryan
by, 05-04-2010 at 09:04 AM (1336 Views)
Once every few days I will be spotlighting a member of the baseball Hall of Fame. To start things off, it is The Ryan Express.
QUICK CAREER NUMBERS
Games Started: 773
Complete Games: 22
- 7 career no-hitters
- Holds single season strikeout record at 383.
- Struck out 100 or more batters in 24 of his 27 seasons.
- Struck out 300 or more batters in a season 6 times.
- Struck out 8 batters in a row during a single game twice.
- Lead the league in strikeouts 11 times.
- Struck out 10 or more batters in a single game 23 times in 1973.
- Struck out 329 batters or more for 3 straight seasons.
- Lead the league in ERA 2 times.
- 8 time All-Star
- Ryan batted a career .110 (94/852) with 2 HRs and 36 RBI.
- Inducted into the MLB HOF in 1999 with 98.2%.
- 10th round draft pick by the New York Mets in 1965.
- Spent 1967 in the United States Military.
- Appeared in 5 League Championship Series and 1 World Series.
- Between 1973 and 1975, Ryan achieved 4 no-hitters. Two of those coming within two months of each other in May and July of 1973.
- The closest Nolan would get to a Cy Young award was in 1972 when he came in 2nd to Jim Palmer. He would place in the top 10 of the Cy Young voting 8 times.
- In 1987, Ryan compiled a 8-16 record while posting a 2.76 ERA with 270 K's. He finished 5th in the NL Cy Young voting that same year.
- Ryan is the only pitcher to strike out the side on nine pitched balls in both the National League (April 19, 1968) and the American League (July 9, 1972).
- His jersey has been retired by the Angels, Astros and Rangers.
- Currently serves at the President of the Texas Rangers.
HOF Strikeout Victims
- Hank Aaron
- Luis Aparicio
- Ernie Banks
- Roberto Clemente
- Al Kaline
- Harmon Killebrew
- Eddie Matthews
- Willie McCovey
- Joe Morgan
- Brooks Robinson
- Billy Williams
- Carl Yastrzemski
- Dave Winfield
- Rickey Henderson
- Cal Ripken Jr.
- Paul Molitor
- Tony Gywnn
Total Trackbacks 0